Welcome!

I hope you enjoy my blog, a collection of articles and thoughts regarding my interests. I'm a married father of two that loves to write about gliding, hunting, fishing, camping and any outdoor passion. Oh yah, I'm a quadriplegic. I hope this is informative to some, entertaining to others, and interesting to all. Let me know what you think. If you'd like an article for your publication, I've got words I haven't even used yet!

Sunday 23 February 2014

The Power of Intention



One thing about living life strapped to 4 wheels in a Northern climate (well relatively Northern, although there are lots of people living farther North),  there is time to plan and ponder. This may or may not be a good thing, depending on the thoughts bouncing around in your coconut. What works for some, doesn't work for others, and maybe our life's missions all differ.

By the time we have reached this age, say 40s or 50s, we have all experienced good and bad. I don't know if we can control this, but from my experience we certainly can influence it.

What do you desire? What rattles your chain? What makes you smile, or laugh? What gives you warm fuzzies inside? Think about it, identify it, think about it ... lots. What seems to happen after a while is ... stuff starts lining up to make your desires happen. Focus on what makes you happy, not what is in the way of your happiness, life seems to give us what we focus on.

I don't know how many times I've thought about a great memory with a close friend, and the phone suddenly rings with him on the other end, far more times than coincidence will allow. I've thought about soaring in the winter (a near-impossibility) and suddenly received an email inviting me to an online glider flight. I've thought about a fine salmon supper with my wife and she'll show up with ... you guessed it ... a fine piece of salmon to be whipped into one of her gourmet meals. It has gotten to where we joke about not wanting any secret thoughts, as the other one will know them!

Captain Tony's
I recall spending nearly a year in hospital, with lots of time listening to a Sony Walkman (1986) and Jimmy Buffett tapes generously donated by great friends. I would escape my reality in my hospital bed, and stroll Key West, visiting Captain Tony's Saloon, Sloppy Joe's, Caroline Street and all the other landmarks that were in those tunes. I never realized that by visualizing it so much, I was making it happen. We talked about going there 20yrs later, it felt right, we hooked onto our holiday trailer in -20C temps on January 1 and off we went. You know what? It was exactly as imagined! It felt like we were coming home! It still feels like home there.

What rattles my chain? Family love. Great friends. Things that fly. Outdoor fun like camping under palm trees, mountain trails, fishing, hunting, exploring, geocaching etc. I constantly try to remember to put my intentions out there to the world/universe/god, whatever you believe (I don't think it matters what you call it), and it seems to work.

I have no idea what the future holds, but I do know that in my world I have been blessed with an abundance of all that I treasure. I probably get to enjoy as much life and fun as most able-bodied people, I believe it is because I want to.

Religious folks might say it's the "ask and you will receive", new age people might say that the universe provides, some would subscribe to the power of positive thinking or like-attracts-like. They all seem to be right.

The world is our playground, let's all have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment